Third Trimester Food Diary Friday #1


Ok, so first of all, this series of posts that I plan to update weekly for the last 8-10 weeks of my pregnancy are directly inspired by Anna Saccone's What I ate Wednesdays. I don't think this was something she exclusively did through her pregnancies, but of the videos I've seen on her YouTube channel it was those in which she was pregnant that I found most interesting.

Now I know it's perhaps a bit of a strange thing to want to record and share publicly, but if you, like me, are curious as to what other people eat whilst they're pregnant, who knows, maybe you'll find this interesting. Each week I'll start with a list of what I ate that Friday and then discuss anything that might be significant like pregnancy symptoms, tried and tested foods that help with these or things that have made life worse for me!

Food Diary Friday #1


10:30am- Breakfast
2 Scrambled eggs made with milk and butter, served with chopped spinach and black pepper 
Coffee with milk
Water and Pre-natal Vitamin

12:30pm-Snack
Petit Filous Big Pot Strawberry Flavour
Water
Cup of Tea

1:30pm- Snack

Banana with Peanut Butter
Coke Zero

3:30pm- Snack

Carrot sticks with sour cream, salsa and guacamole
Cup of Tea

6:00pm- Dinner

Sausage Meatballs with home made tomato and basil, brown pasta and cheese
Pint of orange squash

7:00pm- Heartburn Remedy

Pint of Milk (Half Semi-Skimmed Milk, Half water)

Reflections


For the past couple of weeks I've experienced a serious cull in my appetite. I normally love food and really look forward to all my meals. Ed and I like to eat pretty well and make most things from scratch, including our bread. 
A lot of what is above is what I would usually have on a daily basis BUT I would generally eat more of it and include cereals and starchy foods like bread and pasta because I love them. Oh the heartburn though. 

Prior to being pregnant I only had heartburn once, and I didn't know what was happening to me. Now it's constant so I've been trying to eliminate potential triggers from my daily food intake. There's nothing like heartburn to kill an appetite, which I feel is seriously such a counter-productive symptom of pregnancy...

First I replaced my usual breakfast cereal with a higher protein alternative and added spinach for extra Folic Acid, Iron and Vitamin K. Then instead of a larger lunch that might trigger heartburn I opted for three snacks mostly low in refined sugar and all with decent nutritional value. This helped. The acid reflux I was still experiencing from the day before disappeared by tea time, so I ate a normal dinner. What an error. I still don't know if it was the richness, the pasta, the volume or the time I ate, but it wasn't worth it! Hence the Heartburn Remedy an hour later as recommended by the guy who owns our corner shop which doesn't sell Gaviscon. It didn't work. Good calcium though. 

Kathy
xx



Comments

Popular Posts