What's in my Hospital Bag?

You know you're looking pretty swell when people stop asking you how many weeks pregnant you are and dive straight in with the 'so are you packed yet?' question. 

At 36 weeks I've finally managed to get myself sorted out enough to pack a hospital bag. I've done a reasonable amount of research. I've watched like 10 YouTube videos and I've read up on what my hospital recommends packing so I feel good. Let's face it though, I have no idea what I'm doing, how long I might be in hospital for or even if I will need half of things in this bag. Anyway, here's what's in my hospital bag. Any comments or advice anyone might have are extremely welcome...Do I need my own towel?

1. Mixed Maternity Bag 
Straight in with all the delights ~ breast pads, maternity pads, nipple cream, disposable underwear. Gorgeous.
2. Change of Clothes
Loose joggers, long vest, lightweight jumper
3. Loose Nightdress
What the actual hell do people give birth in? Assuming it's etiquette to arrive with some appropriately deemed garment (aka maybe no lace/boob cups) I opted for this extra baggy, button down night dress from Primark. Will I use it, will I be naked? Seriously I have no idea. 
4. Wash Bag ~ 1
Flannel, body pouffe, moist toilet tissue- ain't no one gonna want regular NHS bog roll after birth I don't imagine.
5. Wash Bag ~ 2
Mixed toiletries- see below for break down.
6. Flip flops
Don't know, maybe in case I jump in the car with no shoes on...
7. Lightweight Robe and Slippers
I've heard that hospitals can be cold to kick about in so I thought a robe of some kind would make sense to take. Also, if I'm in overnight, slippers with a proper sole seem like a good plan. I don't really fancy walking to the toilet sock foot.
8.Face wipes
Make up/sweat/tears remover 
9.Spare Socks
10. Phone (charger and camera all to be added).
11.Plastic bags
For dirty clothes, spewy baby grows and general rubbish
12.Spare Un-Glamorous Underwear
Got disposable, but maybe need something more robust for travelling home
13. Nursing Bra
Got this from boots, currently with something insane like £20 off.
14.Snacks
I can't imagine eating, but apparently you need snacks. I have a selection of things I like as snacks in real life, but mid labour maybe I'll be screaming for a Burger King. Need to pack a drink. Our antenatal woman recommended energy drinks so I'll probably slap a Lucozade in for good measure. 
15. Pajamas and Warm Socks
I've heard people say your feet get cold during labour so you should take some thick socks. I think I saw Kate of Dolly Bow Bow pack some and she seems like a highly organised individual so I packed some too.
I'm pretty sure no matter how long I'm in for, I'll be taking a shower whilst I'm in hospital, so I rammed as many miniatures into this wash bag as I thought necessary. We have:
  • Dry Shampoo- because if I can avoid washing my hair I will
  • Shampoo and Conditioner- imagine something really minging does go in my hair
  • Toothbrush and Toothpaste
  • Deodorant
  • Hand Sanitizer
  • Facewash
  • Shower gel
  • Sudocrem- as face moisturiser and as lip balm because apparently the gas and air can dry your lips out

Snacks ~ Have other people taken snacks in? Is this normal? It feels like I'm preparing for a long flight with some kind of holiday at the end of it rather than BIRTH...

Okay, so that's almost everything I have packed for me. I will obviously be adding my hospital notes to the bag and most likely some make up if I remember at the time, even if I don't end up using it, I'd like the option :)

Let me know your thoughts on what I've packed, if there's anything I should think about taking out or adding in let me know! Also watch out for my what's in the baby's hospital bag post next week.

Kathy
xx

Comments

Popular Posts